An applicant must be either a graduate student of a university in Japan (regardless of ethnicity/nationality), or a graduate student with Japanese nationality attending an overseas university, as of August 1, 2018.
The winner (one person) will be awarded one hundred thousand yen, and the prize-winning paper will be published in the ISER Discussion Paper Series.
Requirements for Submission
Documents Required when Submitting
- The paper should cover a research topic in Economics.
- The paper should be written in English, and abide by standard writing-style conventions for academic papers.
- In the case of co-authored papers, all of the authors should meet the eligibility criteria outlined above.
- An applicant cannot submit more than one paper.
Applicants should submit documents (1) through (5) below during the submission period.
Documents (1), (2) and (3) must be submitted electronically in PDF format to the email address designated below.
It is preferable that documents (4) and (5) are submitted electronically in PDF format.
However, if an applicant prefers to submit a hardcopy, please send it to the postal address designated below.
- Application form (Download from here)
- Curriculum vitae (Note: an ID photo is not required).
- Research paper
- A recommendation letter from the applicant’s supervisor (or equivalent). Note: the same person cannot recommend more than one applicant.
- A review report or a letter from the editor if the paper was submitted to a refereed journal and has received a positive response.
Address for Submission
- Please note that all documents mailed to ISER will not be returned.
Postal address： ISER/Moriguchi Prize Committee
ISER, Osaka University
6-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567-0047, Japan
From August 1, 2018 to August 31, 2018（late submissions will not be considered.）
Three candidates will be selected from the pool of applicants and invited to present their paper in English at the
Moriguchi-Prize event, which is scheduled to take place at the ISER in December 2018. Following the presentations, a committee of ISER faculty members will nominate one paper as the Moriguchi-Prize winner.
The results (including the names of all candidates and the winner, along with comments) will be displayed on the ISER web site and other media.
- All candidates participating in the presentation session will be provided with travel expenses (transportation/accommodation fee and daily allowance) in accordance with Osaka University’s travel regulations. For candidates traveling from overseas, a maximum of one hundred thousand yen will be provided for travel expenses.
- When a prize-winning paper is published in a refereed journal, the author should indicate in the acknowledgements section that this paper was awarded the 2018 Moriguchi Prize by the Institute of Social and Economic Research at Osaka University